Arthritis is an inflammatory disorder that mainly affects your joints. It is characterized by severe pain, swelling, and inflammation in the joints. When you are suffering from arthritis, it may lead to the loss of joint cartilage. This will lead to inflammation in the synovial lining that produces the synovial fluid, which helps in protecting and lubricating your joints. Osteoarthritis and rheumatology arthritis are the two common forms of arthritis that affect your body.
Both these forms of arthritis can affect your hand and it will cause severe pain and stiffness. If you use your hand too much or do a lot of repetitive tasks, the condition may get worse. Arthritis in the hands is usually treated using oral pain-relieving medications. Doctors also recommend some hand exercises that can help in alleviating the pain and strengthen the muscles in your hand.
Here are some hand exercises that you can try for rheumatic pain treatment.
Make A Fist
- Start by holding out your left or right hand and straighten your fingers.
- Slowly bend your fingers towards the palm and make a fist. Make sure to place the thumb outside of your hand.
- Do not tighten your hand, be gentle.
- Open your hand back up and straighten your fingers slowly.
- Repeat this process for a few minutes and then do it with the other hand.
- Hold one of your hands out with all your fingers straight.
- Bend the thumb towards the palm.
- With your thumb, try to touch the bottom of the pinky finger.
- Hold the thumb there for a few seconds and then return the thumb to the original position.
- Place your left or right hand on a table. Keep your thumb pointed up while placing your hand.
- Bend your other four fingers inward so as to make an L shape.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and then straighten the fingers.
- Move back to the original position and repeat the process for 10 minutes.
- Hold your right hand out with your palm facing the ground.
- Using your left hand, press your right hand down gently until you feel the wrist and arm stretching.
- Hold the position for around 30 seconds and repeat the process about 10 times with your other hand.